Pages

3.03.2010

The Guilt Dream


Last night I dreamt that my baby was hurt. She had tried to sit in the colander, as she did yesterday while I made dinner, and hit her chin on the stove's bottom drawer. When she did this, the blow cracked the porcelain veneer beneath her chin. For some reason, I put baby powder on the wound, as if it were a diaper rash, and I could see the powder lining the newly opened cavity. The fall caused one of her springs to become loose and hang, broken, below her left ear. I stared at the spring, but could not figure out what to do to make her better. This is all I remember. Caked baby powder. A loose spring. An overwhelming sense of helplessness and guilt.

When she fell yesterday she bumped her forehead. It was more of a scare than anything, and she was back to her shenanigans in a matter of minutes. However, I felt very bad that I did not see her try to sit in that darn colander. I must have fallen asleep feeling guilty that I did not prevent it... but now... I have to blame the evil colander... for coaxing her... if it hadn't been so appealing out in the open... just lying there under the griddle in the cabinet blocked by the trash can. Darn that evil colander.