
Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. --Pablo Picasso
She's fourteen months old, but her daddy and I agree she has artistic promise. She's been taking pens off my desk and drawing in my sketchbooks.
I will swear to you that her very first sketch is the spitting image of an owl on a tree branch-- in a Giacometti meets Picasso sort of way. Regardless, it's really quite genius that she would produce such a clear depiction. And to show that it was not a fluke, her second creation is undeniably a bird in a full-speed nosedive. Brilliantly, she even captured the urgency in its fluid movement. Scout's honor.
(Okay, I admit it I was never a Girl scout, Brownie, or any other childhood badge-hunter.)So what if Ayden is just be scribbling all over my notebooks? It does not change the fact that she enjoys drawing. Imagination is a key part of childhood; and I believe that nursing creativity will be beneficial throughout her entire life.
Teaching a child the importance of artistic expression is giving the child a tool to handle life's complexities. Life changes without warning, and a person needs a productive outlet to help them through it all... Be it drawing, writing, or music; Art speaks to us all, and is a beautiful way to commemorate the good moments as well as the bad.
While my child may not be an art prodigy, each creation is a step in the growth process. Right now she is simply amused by the ability to create something where there is nothing. Tomorrow it will be an outlet for her views on the world. May all her pictures be true and uncompromising.