Pages

5.17.2010

My Sour Patch Kid

You can't stay mad at somebody who makes you laugh. -- Jay Leno

Have you heard of the Sour Patch Kids candy? Their commercial states that first, they're sour, then, they're sweet. They use these little gummy characters that do mean things to people, and then they do something nice for them; thus, emphasizing their slogan. It's actually a pretty cute campaign.

Well, I happen to know a real live sour patch kid. She lives with me. She's not made of gummy candy, no, but she fits the persona well. My sour patch kid thinks she can fix anything with a kiss or a hug. She pinches me, so gives me a kiss. She throws things, so she gives me a kiss.

Today, she hit me with a toy bat...out of the blue and for no reason, I didn't even see it coming... but whack! she hits my bare leg full-force with a small, plastic bat.

"Ow!" I exclaim. She immediately drops the bat, gives me a hug, and pulls my face down for a kiss. Then, she smiles. She says something in gibberish-- a language I call "Ayden" --and giggles before waving "buh-bye" and bolting out of the room. Off to create more mischief elsewhere.

I just smile and shake my head. What can I do? I love that kid. She may be a bit sour, but she sweetens it up with kisses; and you can't be mad at her for that.