Pages

5.19.2010

"Uh-Oh" Fixes Everything

My friend has a baby. I'm recording all the noises he makes so later I can ask him what he meant. --Steven Wright


We are trying to explain to Ayden that when she throws something down on purpose, it does not deserve an uh-oh. The lesson does not seem to be sticking though. She dumps the entire package of Gold Fish crackers and she tops it off with an uh-oh.

"That is not an uh-oh," I tell her, but she does not understand. She says something in 'Ayden' and starts to pour them back in the box. A few minutes later, she utters uh-oh after throwing her toy cell phone down.

"It's not an uh-oh if you do it on purpose," I tell her. Again, she says something in 'Ayden' and continues with her day. I'm not exactly sure how to communicate the message. It somehow gets lost in translation. I guess I need to hire a translator. If anyone out there speaks the gibberish language called 'Ayden' let me know, I will really need the help when potty training comes along in a few months. Although, she learned to say "I see you" today, so we are slowly bridging the gap, and the language called 'Ayden' will become another lost tongue soon enough.